Tuesday 7 April 2020

Lockdown day 15 - Red Kite and Pied Flycatcher

A Red Kite drifting slowly down the valley this evening was my 57th species for the garden  since lockdown, after adding a flyover Grey Wagtail yesterday but the star bird was undoubtedly a male Pied Flycatcher that I found close to Darley Dale during my morning walk.
The first record for Derbyshire this year I think and not far behind the earliest ever record which was 3rd April in 1999.
I heard and saw my first Willow Warblers in the Whitworth Park this morning and records of Swallow, Sand Martin and House Martin are fairly widespread now and the first Redstart was reported near Kelstedge this morning and an Osprey was seen over Beeley Triangle yesterday, so the warm weather is certainly assisting migrant birds as they head north.
Pied Flycatcher - male

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...