Saturday 4 April 2020

Lockdown day 12 - Crossbill breeding success

After adding Pink-footed Goose to my garden lock-down list when two flew north with two Greylag Geese this morning, taking me to 52 species, I cycled up to the moor again for my permitted daily exercise.
I was hoping for some spring migrants but the only bird in that category was the Chiffchaff which is now present in decent numbers on the moor.
Cycling down a track I had a couple of Common Crossbill calling then surprisingly one landed in a tree directly above my head. I wasn't going to bother looking at it as it was such an awkward angle but I was glad I did as I could immediately see the heavy streaking on the underparts that immediately identified it as a juvenile. I moved away so I could get a better view of it but it flew a short distance whilst calling repeatedly. It joined an adult female and was begging for food and then a second bird appeared. 
They are a very scarce breeding bird in Derbyshire so I was very pleased to get my first confirmed breeding locally.


Common Crossbill female with juveniles


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...