Saturday 24 May 2014

Devon Carpet - First garden record

I caught this moth in the garden last night and at the time was certain this was Devon Carpet, it's late for me for the only confusion species the Water Carpet which is generally larger. This moth had a wing length around 14-15mm but more particularly has the rounded wings that are characteristic of Devon Carpet. There are a couple of things that don't appear exactly right for Devon Carpet however, the dark markings at the tip of the wing are more typical of Water and the indentation on the inner edge of the dark central band are a bit more indented than I expect. 
The Devon Carpet is very rare in Derbyshire, I'm only aware of four records; near Ashbourne in 1984 and the other three records are all in Darley Dale 2 from Clough Wood which I caught with Brian Statham and one from Simon Roddis's garden last August.
UPDATE: I discussed the identification of this individual with local moth expert Brian Statham who agreed with my assessment that this is the Devon Carpet.
Probable Devon Carpet




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...