Sunday 18 May 2014

Pyrausta cingulata - Longstone Edge

Whilst photographing the Wall butterflies yesterday I came across a single Pyrausta cingulata. This nationally scarce moth inhabits chalk and limestone hills and cliffs so the habitat was ideal. The wingspan is only 15mm so it is tiny. 
I've included the records published on the National Biodiversity Network website which gives an indication of its national distribution. I managed a couple of record shots before it flew and I lost it.
There are past records from the Derbyshire Dales such as Miller's, Lathkill and Cressbrook.
Pyrausta cingulata

NBN Gateway records for Pyrausta cingulata

2 comments:

  1. Steve Whiteley19 May 2014 at 11:58

    Hi Andy - I was up at Longstone Edge yesterday morning and found 5 of these little chaps plus a few Cistus forester as well. Dingy Skippers were everywhere and I counted at least 15 Wall. A great spot for butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting Steve. I think this is a good example of a very rare habitat, in this type of limestone grassland, but within which the species that depend on it can be quite common. I'll have another look myself next week weather permitting. I mentioned that I have made a few trips there recently and seen nothing so I think the sudden temperature increase has triggered the emergence.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...