Monday 18 July 2016

Water Vole - Cromford Canal

I think it's about two years since I have seen a Water Vole on Cromford Canal. Granted I haven't been that regularly but I did spend some time along the full length of the canal at the start of the year.
This evening James and I had a single animal at High Peak Junction but there must have been at least two as another couple had just seen one further down the canal. 
I don't think there is any doubt that the population crashed a couple of years ago and I have heard several theories why this may have occurred, particularly surrounding the use of the barge but I find it hard to believe that this would have had such an effect.
Hopefully they are making a come back.
Water Vole

2 comments:

  1. Mink are the most serious problem. On Haddon Estate the mink are being killed asap after they show up. The voles are regaining a hold on Haddon's length of the Derwent and there is a tiny population around Bakewell on the Wye. We can but hope they come back to their proper numbers...


    RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your right there Rod, although I have no mink sightings to confirm their presence at Cromford but they are very elusive.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...