Friday 9 December 2022

Redwing in Chatsworth

 There have been hundreds of Redwing flying around this week and they appear to be settling in to feed now. I came across a nice group feeding with Chaffinch below an oak tree in Chatsworth today as we experienced the first dusting of snow of the winter.

Redwing
I managed to count the Lapwing flock at the end of Screetham Lane earlier in the week. I'd estimated the flock at 200 but counting from a photo I came to 308. The Golden Plover, which have been as high as 170 can be counted at 50 now in the same photo. With the ground now freezing it's likely that these birds will leave the moor for milder areas.
Lapwing with Golden Plover above them
I watched a Hawfinch flying over Cromford Bridge yesterday morning which I think is the first recorded there so far this winter. Still hoping they may return to the yews at St Helen's Church in Darley Dale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...