Sunday 4 December 2022

Close encounter with a Kingfisher on the River Bradford

 We've had a spell of very gloomy weather recently and today was no exception but I had very close views of a Common Kingfisher on the River Bradford at Youlgrave today. It was so intent on fishing that it allowed me to get within several metres. It caught three fish whilst I was watching it. I didn't realise at the time but it has a BTO ring on its right leg. If the weather had been better I may have been able to read some of the ring but it was very dark and spitting with rain.


Common Kingfisher
A little further up the river a young male Wigeon was still present which I had first seen on the 25th November.
Wigeon immature male
It's been fairly quiet recently although several skeins of Pink-footed Geese are still passing over the moor and there are now 20-30 Common Crossbill in the forestry plantations on Flash Lane. 

Lapwing are still present around Screetham Lane in decent numbers (over 200) and I've seen up to 170 Golden Plover in the same area.

A Marsh Harrier was seen in the same area last weekend but there has been no further sightings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...