Friday 20 May 2022

Sedge Warbler and a breeding record of Kingfisher

I spent yesterday morning checking all the likely places for Sedge Warbler in the valley, which were discussed after my first record last year. I didn't find any, but shortly after returning home I received a message that Alan had found one singing on Beeley Moor. To para phrase Sherlock Holmes; when you have eliminated all the likely places you should then search the unlikely places!

Fortunately it was still there this morning but only singing occasionally in rather blustery conditions. News that Simon had found three juvenile Kingfisher being fed by one of the parents at Rowsley was too good to miss and luckily they were still being fed by the river when I arrived. 

I'm amazed how unobtrusive Kingfishers can be, it was February when I last saw one at Rowsley but I did see them several times last year on the river close to the recycling station so perhaps they have nested somewhere in that direction.

I watched one of the juveniles make several unsuccessful dives and I imagine that it is a skill that they take some time to learn.


Kingfisher - juvenile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...