Wednesday 3 June 2020

Red Fox and Brown Owl

The Fox is quite common around the moors but seldom seen, its probably easier to see one in Matlock or Bakewell! Yesterday morning I was fortunate to catch a pair sat together and paying me no attention until they heard the camera shutter when they both turned to look in my direction, even though I must have been 400m away.
Fox
In the middle of May I found an owl using an old crows nest with a single downy youngster in it. I was hoping for Long-eared but even at this age they are easily separated as the Long-eared has a yellow iris whilst the Tawny's are black as with this chick. The chick left the nest soon after this photo was taken and I haven't seen it since. Yesterday both Song Thrush and Blackbird were alarming in the nest area and after careful searching I managed to see an adult looking Tawny Owl in the tops of the trees. 

Although the Tawny Owl is both relatively common and widespread I very rarely see them, their presence only given away by nocturnal calling, so I was pleased with this encounter.
Tawny Owl chick in an old crows nest

Tawny Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...