Monday 1 June 2020

Kites, moths and butterflies but no Red-foot

I went out early yesterday to look for a female Red-footed Falcon that had been seen on Saturday evening at Upper Loads. The Red-footed Falcon is a very rare visitor to Derbyshire last recorded on Beeley Moor in 1979! 
There was no sign of the falcon but a Red Kite put on a fantastic display over a recently mown silage field. It felt like it was almost flying close enough to touch at times as it slowly quartered the field. I'm sure this is set to become a much commoner sight in the future.
Red Kite

I've seen my first Forester moths of the spring at a new location on the Cathole as well as at the regular site on Flash Lane.
The Forester

The warm weather is good for butterflies and I have seen several Wall around the edge of the moor so hopefully they will have a good year.
Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...