Friday 19 June 2020

A change in the weather

Since my last post the weather has gone rapidly down hill, and stayed there! To be fair there have been some bright spells and during one I drove up to Elton Common and heard and actually managed to see my first Common Quail of the year. I had two birds but there have been reports of up to three, this must be one of the most reliable sites in the County to at least hear them.
The Quail was my 98th species seen locally this month which is pretty good going I think. Local for me is an 8km (5mile) radius of Darley Dale which gets me as far North as Bakewell and Chatsworth, just takes in Elton Common to the West, and Holymoorside/ Ashover to the East.
I have been out to check on the Wood Warblers, the pair I had originally photographed have fledged 6 young as I had hoped and I found another recently fledged juvenile from another nest which was just about able to fly. It looked a bit damp after all the rain but looked to be doing OK otherwise.
Wood Warbler - recently fledged trying to attract its parents attention

I've also been across to Clough Wood but couldn't find any Pied Flycatchers, its amazing how quickly they leave the nest area once the young fledge. I did come across another Tawny Owl which was a nice surprise but there was no sign of any Marbled White butterflies yet, although its usually early July before they are flying.
Tawny Owl - not sure about its age?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...