Sunday 22 September 2024

Common Pochard - Bakewell

 Yesterday I had seen a juvenile Herring Gull with the Black-headed Gulls in Bakewell, which is a scarce bird locally, but hadn't got my camera with me si I returned this morning hoping it had come back with the other gulls. There was no sign although the gulls often turn up late morning, so it may still appear.

There was however a Common Pochard with three Tufted Duck which made the journey worthwhile, This is only my second record of Common Pochard although they can get several hundred at Carsington in the winter.

It has a very pale mantle which is suggestive of a male but lacks the adult males red head and eye and black chest so probably a juvenile male.


Common Pochard - probably juvenile/1st winter male
For the record, this is the first winter Herring Gull, taken with my phone.
Herring Gull


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...