Thursday 12 December 2013

Sunrise, rain and a research visit to S Yorks

The day started off well with this beautiful sunrise over Great Longstone as I headed out to Snake Pass. By the time I arrived it was raining heavily but I decided to take a walk along the Pennine Way anyway. I found one very damp, dozing Mountain Hare before I gave in and headed back to the car.
I had decided to visit Broomhead Reservoir in South Yorks to have a look for the Two-barred Crossbills. One of the ways of locating them is by the short trumpeting notes they give in flight alongside the more Crossbill like chips. I'm not familiar with this call but felt that if I am to find them locally it would help to hear the call.
There were 7 birds (four males) on show on and off whilst I was there, more off than on, but I did hear the calls on several occasions which certainly are distinctive. They were distant but I did take a record photo.
Sunrise over Great Longstone

Mountain Hare - dozing in the rain

Two-barred Crossbill, male - Broomhead Reservoir


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...