Saturday 2 May 2020

Lockdown day 40 - the breeding season moves on

Amazing how quickly the breeding season progresses, I've already seen Mallard and Moorhen chicks at the Whitworth and Coot at Caudwells Mill but even the recently arrived migrants are already nest building. I managed some nice photos of the Wood Warblers doing just that and some poorer photos of a female Pied Flycatcher looking rather 'whiskered' as she carried nesting material.

Wood Warbler nest building

Pied Flycatcher female
Up on the moor the Stonechats are already feeding their first brood.
Stonechat - male with food for young
Meanwhile migrants such as the Spotted Flycatcher and Nightjar have still to arrive in the area. I'm interested in seeing the Spotted Flycatchers (which I failed to find locally last year) so please let me know if you see any in the Darley Dale area.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I've seen what I think is a Willow Warbler this morning, albeit similar to a ChiffChaff, not a chiffchaff song. So concluding it's a willow warbler. Can I send a photo for confirmation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can do, sounds like it probably is Willow Warbler there are plenty about now, particularly on higher ground - send to andysbutler@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...