Wednesday 13 May 2020

End of Lockdown and a pair of Spotted Flycatcher arrive

Well it looks like Lockdown is over, or at least the Lockdown where we can only drive to the shops! My Lockdown list finished on 66 for the garden and 105 species for my local patch, all seen by walking or cycling from home which I think is pretty good. I thoroughly enjoyed myself anyway, and I'm sure the exercise has done me good and was a welcome reminder of the value of walking when watching wildlife.

I drove up to the moors today for the first time since 23rd March. It was still very cool with a strong northerly breeze but a message from Alan Stewardson that he had seen a pair of Spotted Flycatcher in the woods behind my house caused me to head for home and abandon the car.
I soon found the birds, which were an obvious pair as one bird, presumably the male, repeatedly chased the other but then I saw them sat together by a hollow in a tree.

Spotted Flycatcher
 
These are my first local Spotted Flycatchers for about 4 years! That may be partly because I'm usually abroad at this time of year when birds are passing through and establishing territories but there is no doubt that the Spotted Flycatcher has suffered a major decline in the UK.
The BTO Breeding Bird Survey data show a decline in the breeding population of 39% between 1995 and 2016, part of a staggering longer term decline of 87% since 1970. Exactly why the population has suffered such a significant decline is unclear but is thought to be due to factors in their wintering grounds as well as in the UK. The English population has declined more than the Scottish and this is probably due to changes in farming practices as garden populations fair better than those in farmland. High mortality in their first year appears to be the problem.
Well I hope this pair do OK and I'll be looking out for them in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...