Sunday 10 May 2020

Lockdown day 47 - return of the Nightjar

Yesterday I walked up to the moors twice, one good thing for me from the current lockdown is that I've had a lot more exercise! 
In the morning I managed some nice portraits of the Skylarks, the photos are of a pair and it was interesting to see that the male kept his crest raised all the time whilst the female didn't. The sexes are inseparable on plumage but the male was giving occasional bursts of song. 
I think there are around 15 pairs in the area that I regularly walk.

Skylark - male upper

I also came across the family party of Stonechat again with both parents actively feeding the offspring.
Stonechat - juvenile

In the evening I returned to the moor at dusk and waited for the Woodcock to start their display flights. Shortly afterwards I heard the distinctive churr of a male Nightjar. He appeared to be flying around quite a bit and calling 'pruick' and I concluded that he was still exploring the area and hadn't yet established a territory. Very pleased to have the Nightjar back my 104th species for lockdown.
Woodcock - roding display flight
 

It started to rain around 10pm so I made the journey home to the occasional hoot of the Tawny Owl.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, great posts again Andy. Just walked up to peak village, not a lot on the way, a willow warbler and Manderin ducks. Walk round the nature path though and had sand Martin's, pair of goosander and a red kite, all on 5 mins

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...