Thursday 22 July 2021

Yellow-legged Gull and an unexpected Common Quail

 I went out early this morning to avoid the day-time high temperatures and headed for Elton Common to look for the gulls. James had said that around a hundred Lesser Black-backs were in a newly ploughed field at the Winster end of the Winster to Newhaven road yesterday. 

I found about 80 gulls just beyond Pikehall and the flock contained at least one adult Yellow-legged but they weren't in a great position for looking at them, so I took a few photos of the Yellow-legged and went up to Elton where there is a better vantage point for the fields. I hadn't been stopped long when I heard what sounded like a single call from a Common Quail. I walked around for a while a heard it call a couple more times which confirmed its identity but I couldn't tell where the call was coming from. I decided to drive up to the traditional area of Elton Common where quail are recorded most years, but having tried several times for them in May and June I wasn't too hopeful. 

As soon as I got out of the car the Common Quail called several times, much closer, from the wheat field with the derelict barn. I heard it several more times over the next hour but could only hear a single bird. Hopefully they have been there a while and could therefore be breeding.


Yellow-legged Gull - adult
Last year I had at least 9 Yellow-legged Gulls appearing with the Lesser Black-backs and I'll be interested to see if there are similar numbers this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...