Wednesday 28 April 2021

Whimbrel on Beeley Moor

I enjoyed distant views of my first Whimbrel of the year this morning on the large grass field in front of Clover (formerly Screetham) House. It was presumably the same bird seen by Doug Aston on Monday in the same area.

The last few years we have usually managed one or two Whimbrel spending a few days on the fields adjoining the moors before continuing the journey north, perhaps to Iceland or northern Scandinavia.

Whimbrel
Later in the day I had another surprise when I went in to the garden to scan for an early Swift when I picked up a high circling Great White Egret which then headed north up the valley. 

Having only seen my first for the area last October it was a very unexpected addition to my garden list and perhaps they will become a regular visitor although it smaller cousin the Little Egret has remained rare.

Great White Egret heading up the Derwent Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...