Wednesday 4 January 2017

Great Grey Shrike - Beeley Moor

I'm packing for a trip to the French Alps tomorrow but a call from Ken to say he had the Great Grey Shrike on the Holymoorside road soon had me heading in that direction. Although the shrike has been around since mid-October it has been very elusive and I've only seen it 4 or 5 times, plus it's the start of a New Year. 
It was sat preening when I arrived and as usual it was rather distant. It made a couple of short hunting flights before gradually moving down the valley. I took a couple of records shots with the 500mm + 2x converter but it was still tiny in the frame.
There were 3 Waxwing by Forest Garden Centre in Darley Dale yesterday but I couldn't find them this morning but a flock of 30 Lesser Redpoll was the largest I've seen locally in recent weeks.

Great Grey Shrike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...