Saturday 5 January 2013

Foot It - Update 5th Jan

Dipper - singing

Had a good walk this morning, continuing with my efforts to see as many birds as possible during the month of January on foot. Set off at first light heading for the Stancliffe Hall Hotel grounds which produced the expected Stock Doves, and a Lesser Redpoll flew over which was handy. 


Little Grebe
I then carried on to Rowsley adding Grey Wagtail, came across a couple of pairs of displaying Dipper and caught up with Little Grebe which I was a little concerned about as it is not particulary easy to see on the river.

Then heading up to Beeley Moor I was relieved to add the Great Grey Shrike, a species which is unlikely to feature on many Foot It lists I think. A little further on I added a pair of Stonechat which I first saw just before Christmas.
Great Grey Shrike

I added Tawny Owl on Thursday evening and a further ten species today bringing my toal to 65 species.

Species added today were;
Stock Dove - Stancliffe Hall & Bent Lane
Lesser Redpoll - Whitworth Road
Grey Wagtail - Rowsley
Redwing - several Rowsley sidings
Little Grebe - Caudwells Mill Rowsley
Greenfinch - 5 + Peak Village
Great Grey Shrike - Wraggs Quarry
Stonechat -pair  Beeley Moor
Lapwing - single flock of about 50 went NW
Goldfinch - 10+ home

I've seen most of the relatively easy to see birds so the numbers will only creep up from now on I think. Target birds for tomorrow are Snipe, Kingfisher and Peregrine and I may have a walk round for Little Owl later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...