Saturday 12 January 2013

Foot It - update 12th Jan

Crossbill - another distinctive silouette
I've definately entered the realms of the laws of diminishing returns. I walked for about 12 miles today and added just two species. That does get me to my target of 72 species, all seen on foot during the month of January so I'm not complaining.

Today's species were nice birds; Crossbill, a party of 9 on Flash Lane which included some fine red males and a female Goshawk. Apologies for the photos but the birds were a long way off!


Goshawk - female
A call from Ken Smith alerted me to the presence of 2 Common Gulls with Black-headed Gulls near Darley Bridge but by the time I managed to get there all the gulls had gone.

There are still quite a few species to go for during the remainder of the month. Several skeins of Pink-footed Geese have been seen in the last few days so they are a possibility. Ken and Roger Carrington had a party of 12 Linnet on Screetham Lane today so that's one I should get and Peregrine and Feral Dove should be added to the list and surely the elusive Lesser Black-backed Gull and Kingfisher will make the list before the month end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...