Saturday 22 June 2024

Yellow Wagtail and Lesser Whithethroat new for the year

 A male Lesser Whitethroat, almost certainly one of a pair was singing between Winster and Birchover during the week. Although I see, or hear, odd Lesser Whitethroats elsewhere this is the only area where they breed with any regularity and it's difficult to understand why as similar habitat is fairly widespread in the White Peak.

On a similar vein I caught up with Yellow Wagtail today at Pikehall. Most years I get a pair at Elton Common but I could not find them there this year although there were one or two reported. So I went a little further and came across a singing male with a female so presumably breeding.

The Common Quail was calling there again today but no sign of any on Bonsall Moor this year.

Yellow Wagtail - male

Another very scarce breeding bird was encountered yesterday at Chatsworth when Pam and I flushed a Green Woodpecker from the grass by the river. I've seen or heard them several times during April and May so again presumably breeding in the area.

Green Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...