Saturday 10 February 2024

Whooper Swans over Beeley Triangle

I can't remember a winter when the weather has been so persistently poor! It's either raining or so overcast it's almost dark. Consequently, despite my best efforts I haven't seen too many interesting birds. 
That said, I did have two Whooper Swans over Beeley Triangle this morning, flying quite low, calling and heading North West, my first this winter.
Whooper Swans
There are very few birds on the moor, after the snow earlier in the week, but I did manage a single Stonechat today and it shouldn't be too long before birds start returning to establish their breeding territories.
Stonechat - female
Last Monday (5th Feb) I came across a large flock of 60-80 Lesser Redpoll on Flash Lane with at least one Common (Mealy) Redpoll with them. I was hoping they would hang around so I could get a photo but haven't seen the flock since.

So far this winter the Sorby Breck Ringing Group have ringed 1,500 Lesser Redpoll and 20 Common and have had recoveries from Stafford, Leics, Hampshire, Dorset and E Sussex so these birds certainly get around.

Had my first Curlew on 6th February when four birds flew north over Darley Dale. They should be returning to the moors later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...