Tuesday 24 March 2020

Birdwatching under lockdown

Well, as of today most of us are home bound and likely to be so for several weeks but with hopefully a daily walk thrown in.
Looking on the positive side I've decided to do a garden bird list for the period of the Coronavirus lockdown. I get off to a good start with a surprise Green Woodpecker calling from somewhere around the Whitworth Park early on, it called several times and was clearly moving and I suspect it either went to Halldale Wood or Ladygrove. Several Mandarin flew over the house, commuting from the river to the ponds in Ladygrove and a lone Curlew flew over calling.
By the end of the day I had recorded 36 species which is a pretty good start.
Plenty of tits still visiting the garden, the Coal Tit is one of my favourites.
Coal Tit
The warm weather has brought out a few butterflies and I've seen Brimstone, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell in the last couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...