Sunday 23 June 2019

Blomer's Rivulet new for the garden

I last trapped Blomer's Rivulet in 2011 in Halldale Wood which is very close to where I live. I have often thought there must be a chance of attracting one to the garden moth trap but without success, until last night. 
I've been abroad for the last month and haven't run the moth trap at all this year but having my 3 year old grand daughter to stay last night I thought I would see if I could catch some hawkmoths to show her. I was lucky with the hawkmoths catching both Elephant and Small Elephant as well as a rather worn Poplar Hawkmoth but the star was a pristine example of Blomer's Rivulet.
Historically the valley of the River Dove north of Ashbourne and Halldale Wood are the two main localities for the species in Derbyshire but there have been a scattering of records elsewhere in the County.
Blomer's Rivulet
NBN Atlas data for Blomer's Rivulet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...