Tuesday 5 June 2018

Orchid hunting around the Via Gellia

I spent the afternoon, which started cool and overcast but ended in sweltering sunshine, searching for some of our early flowering orchids around the Via Gellia. My main target was the Burnt or Burnt-tip Orchid but I think I was slightly late as I only found three flowering spikes and only one of these was in reasonable condition. Nearby were the shrivelled stems of two Green-winged Orchid which I have still yet to see in good condition locally so will have to return a little earlier next year.
There were however lots of Fly Orchids and these appear to be flowering later than normal, as I usually expect to see them at their best in the last days of May. I didn't search all that hard but only found a single Frog Orchid.

Burnt Orchid
Fly Orchid
Frog Orchid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...