Monday 14 August 2017

Red Grouse family on Beeley Moor

The Red Grouse is quite scarce on Beeley Moor so I was pleased to see a male with three youngsters today. I've stated before that numbers have declined during the past couple of decades and I'd be surprised if there are more than five pairs in the Beeley Moor area. 
I've no idea why the numbers are so low. Its a good while since I've seen shooting on the moors so I'm sure that is not the reason. Although numbers may well have been higher when they were managed for shooting. Red Grouse are susceptible to a number of diseases and parasites so that may be a factor.
Whatever the reason it would be a sad day if they were lost from the moors.
The flowering heather looks amazing at the moment.
Red Grouse male with juvenile

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately the moors are no longer managed for grouse so alas the grouse will eventually disappear all together from the area, along with many struggling wading species and other wildlife. All that shall be left is crows.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...