Saturday 28 June 2014

Plain Wave

The Plain Wave is very similar to the much commoner Riband Wave. I check all the Riband Waves I catch in the garden and have never recorded Plain Wave with any certainty but last night I caught this individual which lacks the indentation on the the leading edge of Riband Wave which is so characteristic of that species. I've overlain a Riband Wave against half of the Plain Wave to show the difference.
Nationally the Plain Wave is described as local and thinly distributed which is probably a fair description of its status in Derbyshire.
Plain Wave

Plain Wave (left) v Riband Wave (right)

2 comments:

  1. Steve Whiteley28 June 2014 at 17:24

    Very interesting Andy - I must check my old pics to see if I missed any. It's easy to get blasé about the dear old Riband Wave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the benefits of taking photos, you can always go back and check your id. I don't think the Plain Wave is rare as such but is probably overlooked. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...