Wednesday 7 August 2013

White-letter Hairstreak - Darley Hillside

I was cycling over the moor last week and met Doug Aston who was searching for moths to photograph. We discussed the status of White-letter Hairstreak, Doug had not seen the species locally for many years and I have never recorded it in the area. Last night I met Doug again and he had much more positive news on the hairstreak having seen at least three earlier in the day on Lumb Lane, and kindly sent the excellent photo below.
The White-letter Hairstreak suffered a serious decline following Dutch Elm disease but appears to be widely distributed but in small number across Derbyshire. It is doubtless under recorded, I must have been up and down Lumb Lane hundreds of times over the years with plenty of visits in the June-August flight period, usually on my bike so I am a bit distracted going up the hill which is my only excuse.
White-letter Hairstreak (Doug Aston)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...