Saturday 10 November 2012

Waxwings - Darley Dale

I'd noted on Thursday that there was a widespread arrival of Waxwings down the East coast. Initially they were parties of threes and fours but by afternoon there were larger groups and more inland records. On Friday there were reports of small flocks in Bakewell and Belper so I wasn't entirely surprised when I got a message from  Alan Stewardson that he had seen a small party by Costcutters on the A6. 
I got down there for first light this morning and quickly located 9 birds either sat in the tops of the Lime trees on the A6 or feeding on Rowan berries behind the store. the light was terrible but I managed some reasonable shots before heading off to photograph the Grey Seals at Donna Nook.
What a fantastic bird the Waxwing is, hopefully they will stay around for a while. A party of 20 was also reported by the Enthoven factory this afternoon.


Waxwing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...