Tuesday 1 December 2020

Marsh Tit and return of the shrike

I came across a Marsh Tit at Alport today, it was March when I last saw one and in the same area. Surely one of our rarest breeding birds locally and very difficult to locate as they must be very thinly dispersed. 

Surprisingly, I also saw the long staying Willow Tit on Flash Lane this morning, so an incredible 'double' in the Matlock/ Bakewell area.

Marsh Tit
After a 5 day absence the Great Grey Shrike turned up again in the Farley clear fell in Matlock Forest yesterday. I would love to know where else it's spending its time. They can have large winter territories so it could be travelling some distance. 

Whilst in Farley I saw it pull some previously stashed meat from the top of a tree stump which suggests it may be visiting the clear fell more frequently than I'm aware. This habit of storing food, often impaled on branches gave the shrike family the old name of butcher bird.

Great Grey Shrike at its larder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...