Thursday 3 February 2022

Hawfinch at Chatsworth

 The decline of the Hawfinch shows no sign of abating, this winter I have only heard a couple of reports of single birds at Cromford so I was very pleased to see a single bird in the beech trees close to Chatsworth House this morning. It was sat on the very top of the trees and looked to be calling, although I couldn't hear it stood about 100m away. After about 10 minutes it flew towards the Hunting Tower in the wooded area at the back of the house. 

This is an area which I check regularly so I don't think it's a regular visitor although historically Chatsworth is a site that has had wintering and occasional breeding birds.

The habitat still looks suitable so it's possible the odd pair might still breed here, I hope so anyway.

Hawfinch - not sure of its sex from this view

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...