Saturday 21 April 2018

Pied Flycatcher threat display

I've observed Pied Flycatchers doing their territorial threat display several times before but never managed to get any photos but I managed some yesterday.
Two males were singing but separated by perhaps 50m whilst I was roughly in the gap between them. I then noticed one of the birds looking agitated and starting to flick one wing to a vertical position whilst its white body feathers were puffed up. I then saw that the second bird was now much closer. The first bird continued to flick one wing and then it flicked both wings with its tail lowered at which point the intruding bird made a hasty retreat.
The male looks quite comical in the upper photo and good for a caption competition!


Pied Flycatcher threat display

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...