Tuesday 13 July 2021

My first Sedge Warbler for the Darley Dale area

 Not the first record for the area as there have been several other sightings over the years but this is the first I've seen. Given that it's a common breeding bird at both Carsington and Ogston it is surprising that there aren't more seen locally. 

The 'Birds of the Bakewell Area' which covers the 1990's documents just 15 records of which 11 were at Middleton Moor,  2 at Barbrook (which are both outside the area that I cover) and just 2 from the Wye Valley. Regarding the Wye valley records the report goes on to say;

'In the Wye valley a bird was seen near the Quaker ponds , Monsal Dale (no date given) and a bird was singing near Bakewell on 2 May 1997. The latter has been a traditional site for Sedge Warbler for many years but no specific data was available.'

Where the traditional site in Bakewell was I'm not sure but there is a reedy pool which looks suitable, by the A6 just south of Bakewell by the Haddon Park Farm entrance track that I have checked several times without success.

The bird today was both singing and doing the characteristic display flight in a patch of phragmites which borders the Peak Rail line on the edge of the Whitworth Park. 

Sedge Warbler (not the bird I saw today unfortunately)
The Sedge Warbler is the 160th species I've seen locally (in the Matlock/ Bakewell/ Youlgreave area) which is quite an impressive total for an area lacking any significant open water.

2 comments:

  1. We had a Sedge Warbler singing in our garden hedge in Bakewell for half a day around 2006, we did have a small garden pond with quite large reeds and just assumed it was confused before moving on, never reported it as I assumed they were around on the site you mentioned near the fisherman's car park, not that I'd seen or heard any there but looked a good spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that record. I'm sure they must pass through the area and there are perhaps some breeding locations but I've yet to find one although several places look suitable

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...